Does Your Company’s Intranet Need a Digital Strategy?
Typically clients think of digital strategy as applying only to their public web and social media presence. Headstand Media thinks that the principles of digital strategy can also have great benefit to private company intranets and extranets.
For the first 12 weeks in 2013, we will be engaged in helping one of our larger corporate customers to assess a section of their company intranet that serves approximately 30,000 employees. The goal of this first phase project is to determine the best way to reorganize the content to reflect the company’s new enterprise level business structure, and make the intranet a more effective business tool for its users.
There are many elements of digital strategy that still apply to a corporate intranet:
- User experience / creative visual design
- Content organization / navigation systems
- Search feature capabilities (within the private intranet, not public Google)
- Social media-like features such as internal blogs, discussion/commenting, content tagging, rankings and ratings of content by users, video, etc.
- User generated content
- Personalization of content
- Workflow, business procedures and standards
- Document and resource libraries
- Digital asset management
- Mobile access and apps
Headstand Media will be applying these and other digital strategy principles as we study the existing intranet and make recommendations for its redesign and reorganization.